Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Candlelight Vigil for Columbine


Photo by SEAN MULLINS/smullins.photo@gmail.com
LITTLETON, CO - Hundreds of people gathered Sunday, on the 10th anniversary of the Columbine shooting, to mourn the loss of the 13 students and faculty who were killed in the attack.


Photo by SEAN MULLINS/smullins.photo@gmail.com
LITTLETON, CO - The family of Dave Sanders gather to celebrate his life during a candlelight vigil at the Columbine Memorial on Sunday, April 19, 2009. Sanders, a faculty member at Columbine, was killed during the attack on April 20, 1999.


Photo by SEAN MULLINS/smullins.photo@gmail.com
LITTLETON, CO - Mourners gather at the top of the Columbine Memorial during a candlelight vigil on Sunday, April 19, 2009.


Photo by SEAN MULLINS/smullins.photo@gmail.com
LITTLETON, CO - Maggie and Elizabeth Hickman mourn the deaths of the 13 Columbine students and faculty during a candlelight vigil on Sunday, April 19, 2009. One day before the 10th anniversary of the deadly shooting.


Photo by SEAN MULLINS/smullins.photo@gmail.com
LITTLETON, CO - A candlelight vigil was held on Sunday, April 19, 2009. At the Columbine Memorial, to remember the 13 students and faculty who perished during the school shooting.

Opinionated Discussion: This was one of the more emotional stories I have covered. The Columbine massacre happened shortly after my family moved to Colorado from Oregon, and only a year after "Kip" Kinkel went on a rampage at Thurston High School, in Springfield Oregon. These unfortunate events had my family taking a second look at inserting me into the public curriculum here in Littleton. It was very important for me to get out and document this event, and I feel it is necessary for everyone to be reminded of what took place here, not only for safety awareness but for the families that continue to suffer from their losses. My thoughts are with all who suffered in this tragedy. You will never be forgotten!

Self Critique: I have become quite rusty with the PJ stuff over the past few months. Gosh, the last thing I covered was the MLK Parade. Anyway, it was a pretty tough setting. Emotions were running high and the amount of PJs was clearly upsetting some people. Its our job to tell these stories and every PJ at the event was quite respectful, even when the Sanders family asked a few PJs to stop taking pictures. My frames are just ok with the exception of the Hill shot which I really like because of the layering. It was my first candlelight vigil so I did learn quite a bit. I was able to get away with 1600 ISO, which was good, and I didn't even have to put the 50 on like I planned. If I could do it again, a wide, fast prime like a 24mm 1.4 would be perfect. I feel my pictures lack that identifiable Columbine aspect, such as someone wearing a Columbine shirt with a candle or the school in the background or something to that effect. lessons learned and will nail it next time.

Sean

No comments: