Wednesday, February 20, 2008

2/19/07 Baseball and Fast Pitch Softball

I have been shooting quite a bit of baseball and softball but this was the first time with the new 200mm f/2.8 lens. All of these are shot wide open at f/2.8. I found it hard to beleive that these are so sharp at f/2.8. This lens is truly amazing and I found I didnt miss the zoom one bit. Im not used to shooting at 200mm wide open and I should have stepped down to f/4 or f/5.6 to get a larger depth of field on the subjects in a few shots. Unfortunately, there was no batting practice today so I focused on the pitchers and catchers. I cropped two of these just a tiny bit.

This shot is slightly out of focus but I like the composition here.
Tac sharp, unbelievable.

It would have been nice to have 8fps and captured the whole sequence.


If you look at the ground under the catcher, the extreme shallow depth of field with this lens at f/2.8 is illustrated nicely.



The color, sharpness, and contrast are superior with this lens. This is the best $450 I have ever spent on camera gear.





No comments: